Cathy Giessel was born and raised in Fairbanks. Her father was a Wien Airlines Captain, and her mother was a homemaker and attorney.
- Fairbanks Catholic School through 8th grade
- Lathrop High School graduate
- Bachelors of Science, Nursing, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- Masters of Science, Nursing, University of Alaska Anchorage
Cathy has been married to her husband Richard for 48 years. They have three married adult children and seven grandchildren.
Cathy is a registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner. She has worked in Anchorage, the MatSu and Rural Alaska.
Cathy served 10 years in the Alaska Senate (2011-2020) representing Eagle River and Hiland Road areas, East Anchorage, Stuckagain Heights, Anchorage Hillside, Indian, Bird, Girdwood, Whittier, Hope, Seward, Moose Pass, Cooper Landing, Sterling nad Nikiski.
- Resource Development
- Healthcare Costs and Access
- Children with Disabilities
- Arctic Policy
- Education and Treatment for Addiction
- Foster Care Support
- Behavioral Health Treatment Access
Current Volunteer Community Service
- Behavioral Health Board
- School-Based Clinic Volunteer
- Health Fair Volunteer
- Foster Care Volunteer
- Faith Based Youth Leader